Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Triple Play

Sleep in: check. Multiple-course brunch at home with friends, including bloody marys, mimosas, and coffee: check. Yoga class: check. All made possible by the best husband I could have ever dreamed of.

Now, let me be honest for a minute. You can ask any of my friends: I complain about my husband. A lot. Perhaps an inordinate amount. But today is just one example of why I should stick a sock in it. The only difference between today and most days is, today I noticed every single thing he did to make my day stress-free. And since most days I not only fail to notice the little things he does to make my life special, but usually scream at him for not doing the one specific thing I asked him to do, I thought it might be nice (and buy me some get-out-of-jail-free cards for the days when I yell) to give him some kudos for his thoughtfulness.

Usually, "sleeping in" for me means laying in bed listening to my kid cry and whine and beg to wake up mommy until I finally admit there is no way I am going to fall back to sleep and get up--at 7:00 a.m. Today, I didn't even hear my daughter wake up (at 6:00 a.m.). I didn't hear any crying or whining or begging. I didn't hear a thing until 8:30 a.m., when I heard the 4runner (which still needs the new muffler we purchased two months ago and which has been moved from the living room, to the basement, to the garage, to be installed) pull up to the house. Taking my cue to get up and get ready before our friends arrived with their almost-three-year old son, I was greeted on the stairs by my daughter carrying a travel mug full of freshly brewed espresso & steamed milk. As I made my way downstairs, I took in the scene: the banister was decorated with multicolored balloons, breakfast was in the making, and there was a card addressed to me by my daughter (sort of) propped again a vase of sunflowers on the dining room table. Happy Mother's Day, indeed!

The day continued much in the same fashion: I had a pleasant buzz by noon; by one o'clock, I was napping while my daughter napped (just because they only tell new moms this doesn't mean it's not still a useful strategy for ALL moms); and by four o'clock I was out the door and on my way to Saraswati's for yoga, after a tearful parting from my daughter (hers, not mine: she really wanted to go to yoga with me, promising to "play with the other kids while you do yoga with the mommies").

Despite shedding a few tears in the car on the way home from yoga (I often cry during and after extremely spiritual moments, such as in church or the yoga studio, or while watching commercials on t.v.) because I was missing the 40-person buffet my aunt was catering from Reza's in Chicago, and because I was sad that I didn't have a house full of moms and aunts and grandmothers to attend, I have to admit this was not only a great day, but a great weekend. So, thank you to my wonderful husband and sometimes-sweet, sometimes-sour little girl. Even though I took advantage of many opportunities to get away from it all (meaning you) today, my life wouldn't be complete without you in it.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Great post! Happy Mother's Day. I'm glad it was a wonderful one.