Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How does S/He do it?

During a recent trip to the library with my three-year-old daughter, we picked up a little book called How Big is God? (Despite my own agnostic tendencies, my daughter loves the idea of God.) The book reminded me of what I learned about God in Sunday School so many years ago: God is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. Hmm...I thought. Kind of like moms.

Of course, I'll have to settle for the secondary definition of omnipotent: having very great or unlimited authority or power. And, realistically, my omnipresence is only a facade rendered by my obsessive-compulsive behavior regarding cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, lunch-making, and financial-planning and aided by the use of technology (watch out, kid--your phone is definitely going to have gps). My omniscience is also dependent on technology. I'm sure God doesn't need any help to get his job done. Since most days I feel like I can't afford/don't get the help I need, I'll settle for patting myself on the back for living in God's image. Am I the only one who finds it ironic that we use the masculine pronoun for a being that women resemble more than men?

No comments: